Wednesday 5 June 2013

Carlyon Bay - fond memories and a sad sight

As I mentioned before, when I was a child of about 6 I used to live in Cornwall, whilst I lived there we frequented several of the beaches and coastal areas, Charlestown was one, another was Par Sands, and yet another was Carlyon Bay, now my memories of Carlyon are fragmented as I was very young at the time, but I can remember playing on the beach, running in and out of the sea and climbing on an old wreck that was stranded on the beach, that was back in about 1980. Today after years of neglect Carlyon is a very sad place to be. The pub where my Mother and Father would sit and have a pint while myself and my two brothers climbed the wreck is now a ruin, concrete and metal fences and barrier blight the views there is very little point in visiting, but visit we did. I had forgotten there were 82 steps from the car park to the beach and I was saddened by the view when I got there.
There are plans for Carlyon Bay, which a lot of the residents in the area are against as they feel the plans aren't in keeping with the usual kinds of developments in Cornwall.
I will let you make up your own mind.

Click HERE to visit the official page for the Carlyon Bay development.

and

Click HERE for the opposing arguments






Above - the pub and cafe area where my parents used to sit and watch us play.

Someone once told me 'You've got to go to come back.'
Returning to Carlyon Bay was not a good idea as it made me feel very sad at what Cornwall has lost. I have no plans or desire to ever return there, unless something is done to tidy up the area.
Instead I will remember the memories of going there with my Dad one February and being told 'Don't go too far into the sea, don't let it over the top of your wellies' only to do that exact thing as soon as we arrived.

Carlyon Bay of 1980-81 - I salute and mourn you

No comments:

Post a Comment